On the Saturday October 21st, fiddle teacher Matt Cranitch will teach an Irish traditional fiddle masterclass in Sassenheim, The Netherlands. This masterclass is especially catered for experienced, adult violin players who might not have an extensive knowledge of Irish fiddle-playing but wish to extend their musical horizon. It would be ideal for e.g. classical, jazz or other world music violin players.
In this 4 hour masterclass, a strong foundation of Irish fiddle-playing will be given, including important aspects such as bowing techniques, different tune rhythms, swing, the ability to improvise, cultural context and more.
Matt Cranitch is the author of the much acclaimed fiddle book ‘The Irish Fiddle Book’. He is not only an experienced fiddle player, but also a very gifted teacher and expert on the fiddle playing style from the ‘Sliabh Luachra’ region. But of course, this masterclass is open to anyone learning traditional Irish music, regardless of style or region!
He is also author of an extensive list of publications and lectures regarding fiddle-playing and historical aspects of the tradition.
The masterclass will be held in Sassenheim, South-Holland which is 10 minutes from Leiden. Sassenheim has a train station and is perfectly reachable by car through the A44. Ample and free parking available in the area! The venue is a 5 minute walk from town centre.
Note: As is customary for Irish traditional music workshops and masterclasses, you will be invited to play a short Irish tune (which can be any jig, reel, hornpipe or other traditional tune type) during the classes introduction round. There is no need to prepare something involved at all, just pick any tune that you are comfortable with and enjoy sharing with others!
- Saturday, October 21st, 18:00- 22:00
- Julianakerk – Julianalaan 6, 2171 CZ Sassenheim
- open to experienced, adult violin players.
- it is recommended (but not required) to have a copy of The Irish Fiddle Book.
- The cost of this masterclass is 45,-. Coffee and tea is available at the venue for a small price.
How to enter:
- To enter for the masterclass, please send an email to email@example.com, stating your desire to participate and your previous experience with violin or fiddle music.
- Payments for the masterclass can be made by doing a bank transfer of the fee to Martin van Hensbergen, NL89 RABO 0330 6021 95, with description: ‘fiddle masterclass 2017’.
- If you are interested in the masterclass or have more questions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have a look at some of the previous workshops Matt Cranitch gave in the Netherlands on this website, especially the on about last year’s masterclass.
- Notify others of this event by downloading and sharing the poster: Fiddle Masterclass Poster
- This video, made in Kenmare, Ireland, shows the type of detail and knowledge that Matt will show during the classes: