On the 16th of April 2016, renowned fiddle teacher Matt Cranitch will teach a traditional Irish fiddle workshop in Sassenheim, The Netherlands. This workshop is especially catered for fiddle students who have 1 to 5 years of experience in playing the fiddle and who are interested in extending their technique and knowledge of the art of fiddle playing.
In this one-day workshop, students will get to learn a good foundation on which to build their repertoire in the future. Important aspects like proper fiddle-and bow hold, tone production, rhythm and ornamentation will all be addressed in a relaxed and stimulating atmosphere. Although some tunes will be taught during the course of the day, the main focus of this course is on technique rather than the learning of new tunes.
Matt Cranitch is the author of the much acclaimed fiddle book ‘The Irish Fiddle Book’. He is not only a terrific fiddle player, but also a very gifted teacher and expert on the fiddle playing style from the ‘Sliabh Luachra’ region. But of course, this workshop is open to anyone learning Irish traditional music, regardless of style or region!
The class will be held in Sassenheim, South-Holland which is 10 minutes from Leiden. Sassenheim has a train station and is perfectly reachable by car through the A44. Ample and free parking available in the area! The venue is a 5 minute walk from town centre.
- Saturday, April 16th, 9:00 – 16:30
- Julianakerk – Julianalaan 6, 2171 CZ Sassenheim
- open to fiddle players who have 1 to 5 years of experience in fiddle playing.
- basic knowledge of your instrument is required.
- if you are not sure if you will fit because you have either less or more experience than required, please contact email@example.com for advice.
- it is recommended (but not required) to have a copy of The Irish Fiddle Book.
- The cost of this workshop is 75,- which includes coffee, tea and refreshments but excludes lunch.
How to enter:
- To enter for the workshop, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating your desire to participate and your previous experience with violin or fiddle music.
- Payments for the workshop can be made by doing a bank transfer of the fee to Martin van Hensbergen, NL89 RABO 0330 6021 95, with description: ‘fiddle workshop 2016’.
- If you are interested in the workshop or have more questions please send an email to email@example.com
- Have a look at some of the previous workshops Matt Cranitch gave in the Netherlands on this website, e.g. last year’s workshop.
- This video, made in Kenmare, Ireland, shows the type of detail and knowledge that Matt will show during the classes: